Most Common Mold Problems to Be Aware Of

Most Common Mold Problems to Be Aware Of

Mold is a type of fungus that grows in heat and moisture and can pose a serious problem when it's left to grow in a home. For many people, mold (especially black mold) can cause severe allergic reactions or respiratory issues.

Mold most often forms in moist and warm environments, especially after a house has had flooding issues or was not properly sealed or insulated. While mold is often visible in places like showers or unfinished basements, it can grow in walls, unchecked, until it becomes a major issue. With a strong scent and ugly discoloration, mold can also make a house unenjoyable or inhospitable. There are many types of mold and each can have different effects on your health or your property. Here we will discuss the Most Common Mold Problems to Be Aware Of.


Health problems

Mold often grows unseen until it causes severe and persistent health problems for the homeowner like allergies, asthma, headaches, skin irritation, sore throats, and eye problems.

  • Mold allergy and asthma. Mold allergy can trigger asthma attacks, but often includes the following symptoms: irritated eyes, coughing, skin irritation, respiratory issues, fever, runny nose and other symptoms
  • Headache. Headaches caused by mold can be as simple as a low-grade ache or can get as severe as a debilitating migraine. This can reduce your quality of life and ability to work or make a living.
  • Skin irritation and skin rash. Even when it remains unseen, mold spores in your house can cause various forms of skin irritation, such as: persistent itch, dry skin, and even mold skin rash.
  • Throat irritation. Mold spores are easily inhaled and can cause a sore throat along with the other severe respiratory issues.
  • Eye problems. Mold is toxic and your eyes are one of the most sensitive parts of your body. With prolonged exposure to mold, you could find yourself with conjunctivitis, blurry vision, and light sensitivity.


Damage to your property

At O2 Mold Testing, we always urge people to take care of mold as quickly as possible because it can cause irreparable damage to your property. Over our years in the industry, we've seen some of the worst property damage, including:

  • Crumbling Structure. The mold can eat away at your foundation and framing, causing your house to crumble and become structurally unsound.
  • Appliance Damage. Mold can infiltrate your oven, refrigerator, air conditioner and other appliances. Not only does this spread the spores even more, but it often requires expensive replacement of the appliance.
  • Personal Belongings. Left unchecked, mold can overcome and ruin your clothes, bedding, toys, and furniture to a point where it can no longer be cleaned.


"Musty" and "stale" scents

We often don't realize how much "quality of life" in our house or business affects our physical and mental health. Sometimes the biggest problem with mold is just an overwhelming musty or stale scent. Regardless, this eventually wears on a person and makes the house unlivable.


Visible mold can make your place unattractive

Much like problems with scents, visible mold makes your home or business unattractive and may prevent guests from wanting to visit. Even if you've cleaned the mold, it leaves yellow or black stains on your walls and floors, a constant reminder of the problem.


The presence of mold can damage indoor air quality

When mold gets into your home HVAC system, it's spread all over your house, leading to an unhealthy living or working environment. Once in the vents, it can easily and quickly travel from room to room, causing damage to air quality in your place. Mold spores can easily infiltrate your property where it grows undetected until cause serious health problems or irreversible damage.


How to save yourself from the danger of mold

While you can come back from a mold infestation, the best way to keep your home intact and healthy is to prevent mold from becoming a problem. Here's some of our best suggestions for preventing mold growth.

  • Control Moisture. You should keep the humidity in your home below 50%. Dehumidifiers are easy to keep around the house and keep running.
  • Repair Leaks. Repairing leaks in the foundation, windows, siding, roof, etc., prevents unwanted and unseen water from creating a mold problem.
  • Test often. Inspecting your house for mold every year can ensure you don't let mold problems get out of hand.

When it comes to professional mold inspection services, O2 Mold Testing is here to help. Our experts are professional and the best at what they do. Contact us now to make sure your home stays secure and healthy!


<<< Back to our blog